Certified Public Accountant

Canada is facing a housing crisis, and there’s a debate about the role of international students in exacerbating the issue. Federal ministers have suggested imposing limits on international student admissions, but some provinces oppose this idea. British Columbia, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland and Labrador argue that international students are crucial for their labor force development. Saskatchewan believes that provinces should determine the appropriate number of international students due to their control over education.

Ontario acknowledged the importance of overseas students but did not expressly support a cap. While Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and the Yukon expressed various degrees of interest in learning about the effects of a proposed cap, Quebec and Ontario actively work to draw in more international students.

Canadian politicians like Jagmeet Singh, Pierre Poilievre, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau disagree on whether or not international students are to blame for the country’s acute housing situation. They emphasize the value of student housing and healthcare for immigrants.

It’s worth noting that as government funding for post-secondary education decreases, Canadian universities rely more on international students for financial support. Universities Canada emphasizes the positive contributions of international students to Canadian campuses and communities, even in the face of the housing crisis.

Do you have further inquiries regarding international student admissions or are you currently enrolled as an international student in Canada? Let’s arrange a meeting to address your specific situation.

In the United States, there are no signs of slowing down for F1 Visas granted to international students looking for a Bachelors or Masters.   F1-OPT visas are often granted to those looking for “Optional Practical Training” in the form of paid work.   Maintaining tax compliance on an F-1 Visa is crucial for legal compliance with one’s visa status.  For students from India, income in both the United States and in India must be disclosed, tax credits must be applied to avoid double taxation, and a form 1040-NR must be considered.   If you are an International Student from India, Russia, Mexico, Argentina or Spain, reach out for a free review of your situation.